Sunday, January 30, 2011

What's in a name?

I should apologise for the insult on your senses that this photo gives you, but it does serve a distinct purpose. It gives an actual location for my layout. J thought that it was a typical 'look' for me so there you go. Nope not a train to be seen, not closeby anyway. The photo is taken on the way to Armidale at last years convention. The region does have many of the things I enjoy about railways, rise and fall in the topography, bridges, rivers, and plenty of space, but no branchline. I love the simple 'just enough to get the job done' facilities and infrastructure that 'pioneer' lines of NSW have.

Before I go any further I should thank Bob of SCR blog fame for the motivation to put this post together. I thoroughly enjoyed his latest post and thought, 'what a great idea'. So Bob consider this act of imitation as a sincere form of flattery.

The area of northern NSW around Black Mountain and Gurya has a great deal to offer. In particular the track layout and general layout around Black Mountain does attract me, but it is mainline. The way the line curves around the side of the mountain, and also the mix of simple facilities that were there, even down to the ash ballasted track that even today you can walk along and pick up.

Apart from northern NSW, the west does have some great branches. The Grenfell line does really get me in, ever since reading the article in AJRM where BBB writes about his visit to the area many years ago. The local townships, and general size of the stations from Koorawatha till the end of the line would suit my purposes, especially for a home layout, but that's a whole other story!
The above photo shows SSC meandering it's way across this open field, with a local homestead beyond. This photo is the scenery and 'feel' that I'd like to be able to re-create. I have also put together a bit of a history of the line, that I'll put with the layout when on display. This should give the railway a place of defined location and purpose, we'll see.

Have a good week, Geoff


1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    You certainly have picked a nice part of the state to model.
    Enjoy following your blog.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete