Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Working on my stiff leg derrick crane.

The current modelling project has been the completion of my derrick crane. I was a little stumped at just how to construct the mechanism, and as usual my solution was to put it in the 'too hard' basket. I searched the net and came up with a few helpful ideas, from a site called Shorpy historical photos. 
The instructions with this kit were horrible, and the white metal castings had enough flash on them to keep a streaker happy! So with gears from Peter Boorman ( thanks again Peter!) and a couple from Vector cut I had a go at the mech throwing away the original one. What you see below is the just painted item, ready for mounting, rusting and weathering.  Ignore the square timber under it, that was just used to hold the item while painting it. There's still a bit to go, but I'm looking forward to finishing this one off, now the procrastination is over with.
It will be mounted in the goods siding, beside the loading bank. I'll post a photo when it's in place. a quick post today, just to let you know I'm still here.
Have a great week,
Oorroo!
Geoff.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    looks like your geared up for a nice looking crane.
    I can only hope your stiff leg gets better. Remember plenty of rest and keep the weight off it.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff
    I am researching one for the new layout 15t steam operated it was originaly on PYRMOUNT WHARVES in Sydney I feel your pain I took a heep of photos of the one in the museam next to the Redlands train show but its hand operated!
    peter

    ReplyDelete