Sunday, December 28, 2014

Tree modelling

It has been some time since I did some work on the landscaping of Splitters. So I thought some time spent on creating some trees would be worthwhile. I've taken to using florist wire for the core of the larger trees. I used whatever wire i had, and if you look closely in the first photo you'll see some uncoated wire as well in a different gauge. I have found that the coated wire works better when adding the acrylic paste over the top. The uncoated wire does tend to rust through the paste as it dries. Not really an issue I suppose as I paint right over the lot anyway. I used a solid base of pine that makes the tree easier to handle as you work on it.                                                                                        

The second photo has a little more paste than the first and is ready for the undercoat to be applied. I like the tamiya undercoat, and remember it doesn't have to be thick to be effective, just enough for the top layer of paint to adhere to.               

This next photo is after applying a base amount of brown paints then an airbrush over the top to tone it down as I really felt it was a little overdone. I added a few highlights, a little dry brushing on the trunk. Then that gets us to the last photo.

I do tend to get a little carried away, less is more is my mantra. The base will have some flocks added between the roots when it is added to the layout. Next up is the foliage, the messy but quick part. That will have to do for today.      
Have a great week, 
Oorroo!
Geoff.

1 comment:

  1. Nice tree once the browns were applied - looks great mate!

    ReplyDelete